Are you thinking of shooting video with your phone?
With the power to shoot HD video in almost everyone’s pocket these days, it is helpful to know some fundamentals of video production in order to maximize the effectiveness of your videos. In this digital age of ubiquitous, democratized content, you need to stand above the rest and demand your viewer’s attention by creating your videos using principles and methods that are proven to work. In this installment of our Top Tips series, I will give you what I feel are some of the top tips in order to create quality videos using whatever device you may have on hand.
In this video I will cover the following topics:
- Camera/Device Selection
- Mounting on Tripod
- Orientation of Video Device
- Quality Audio
- Framing the Shot
ASK US ANYTHING: Please post your videos, questions or concerns below and we will respond with our thoughts! We Promise! Help us help rid the world of amateur-looking and unwatchable video pollution by asking for advice!
If this video was of value to you or you want to share how your videos improved from these tips, please share. We love hearing from our followers! Thanks for watching!
Resources and Links
I can help you find hardware that fits your budget and needs, contact us for a customized list of gear. Here are some links to general recommendations or types of equipment that will help you shoot your own videos and keep costs down but still look professional. DISCLAIMER: I am not endorsing any specific products or brands and are merely for reference purposes. None of my recommendations would do a fraction as good of a job as professional-grade equipment.
- Camera Settings
- How to set video quality: (NOTE: Setting video quality to highest settings could go through storage fast. Transferring your videos after your completed video shoot to your machine and removing from device will keep your storage from filling up)
- Tripod and Mounts (Examples for Reference)
- Amazon Basics Tripod – https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-60-Inch-Lightweight-Tripod-Bag/dp/B005KP473Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1465920531&sr=1-1&keywords=tripod
- Phone Clamp for Tripod – https://www.amazon.com/LimoStudio-Monopod-Tripod-Samsung-AGG1462/dp/B00PBCBZJ2/ref=sr_1_5?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1465920594&sr=1-5&keywords=phone+mount
- Tablet Clamp for Tripod – https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Universal-Microsoft-Surface-Tabletop/dp/B00Y4FF1OM/ref=sr_1_2?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1465920660&sr=1-2&keywords=tablet+clamp
- Budget Lighting (Examples for Reference)
- Light and Softbox Bundle (AC power) – https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Professional-Photography-Lighting-Portraits/dp/B017D7W57S/ref=sr_1_42?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1465920805&sr=1-42&keywords=video+light
- Light and Softbox Bundle (light weight and battery power) – https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Dimmable-Digital-Camera-Camcorder/dp/B00Z8YDRTY/ref=sr_1_45?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1465920891&sr=1-45&keywords=video+light
- Nylon Silk Fabric – https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XPUV1XM/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1466098988&sr=1&keywords=nylon+silk+fabric
- Lavalier Microphones (Examples for Reference)
- Shure Brand – https://www.amazon.com/Shure-MVL-Omnidirectional-Microphone-Windscreen/dp/B010W6WESM/ref=sr_1_2?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1465921412&sr=8-2&keywords=lavalier+microphone+phone+shure
- Audio-Technica Brand – https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATR3350iS-Microphone-Smartphones-19-69-Feet/dp/B002HJ9PTO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465921504&sr=8-1&keywords=audio+technica+lavalier
- Rode Brand – https://www.amazon.com/Rode-smartLav-Lavalier-Microphone-Smartphones/dp/B00EO4A7L0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465921555&sr=8-1&keywords=rode+lavalier
- Azden Brand WIRELESS – https://www.amazon.com/Azden-WMS-PRO-Wireless-Lavalier-Handheld/dp/B00LPOHM42/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1465921580&sr=8-9&keywords=azden+lavalier
More on Mediavolution’s Video Production and Training/Consulting Services:
The World Communicates Visually
Once the exclusive domain of TV networks and deep-pocketed corporations, video messaging has become not only ubiquitous, but mandatory. Mediavolution Visual Strategies goes above and beyond your traditional production house; our job doesn’t end when we drop a video on your doorstep. We have helped clients go from zero to fully self sustaining, in-house studio production. We can customize a training curriculum for your needs if you want to start shooting your own video. Let us help you set the bar high, get, and keep your viewers attention with quality video production.